Why green initiatives in Andersonville is crucial for Chicago’s future.
By Jon Cecero
For my final, I would like to expand on how Andersonville is changing the way Chicago neighborhoods value green initiatives and why it is important to place such a high value on being green.
In my midterm I explored Andersonville’s “people spots,” where citizens could enjoy the outdoors in a green space that used to be two parking lots.
I have a few options I would like to explore:
- Is Andersonville the only neighborhood in Chicago with public recycle bins on its street corners? These bins are sponsored by local businesses. Is that working what has the response been?
- Midsommarfest is coming up in the beginning of June and the annual festival is offering the first ever bike valet. It is where they park people’s bike’s for them in a secure location so they do not get stolen. This is apparently something that takes place in Madison, WI and Andersonville is trying this out for the first time. I want to know has this been successful in Madison? What are the benefits to having the event park your bikes? Is it free? The blurb on eco-Andersonville’s site also mentioned they are in need of a sponsor. Does this mean the valet service is free?
Who I want to speak with:
- Ellen Shepard- Executive Director of the Andersonville Chamber of Commerce
- Brian Bonanno- Sustainability Programs Manager, eco-Andersonville
- Business owner– particularly one who is a sponsor of a recycling bin or something else created by eco-Andersonville
- Citizen(s)- I would like to speak to at least one citizen on their thoughts on what the neighborhood is doing for them.
What and Why? Big picture.
- I want to find out if these initiatives are only happening in Andersonville and why Andersonville is making such an effort to be green.
- WHY-I want to know if this is having any impact on Chicago (Andersonville is so small, is it really making a difference?) Is the quality of life better in the northern neighborhood?
- What obstacles if any has Andersonville run into from the city with their projects and plans?
- Who is funding these initiatives?
- What exactly does eco-Andersonville do? When was it founded and for what purpose?
My midterm scratched the surface of the what my final hopes to accomplish. I am excited to get to work.